Mascots are all about recognition and sociability, making them the perfect ambassadors for your college or university.
Living away from home for the first time while attempting to sort out a career path often leaves new students feeling lost. When alumni recall their collegiate mascots, however, they’re likely to say, “We were the…” rather than, “Our mascot was…” It’s mascot psychology; on some level, they identify with the mascot. They feel like part of its community because it’s something they shared with every other student. This is one of the many benefits of collegiate mascots– they create that sense of belonging students crave, and it makes them feel at home. View some of our most beloved college mascots in our gallery.
Other benefits of collegiate mascots include:
- Becoming a recognizable symbol for your college – both on campus and in surrounding communities
- Helping increase awareness about available programs and services that the university offers
- Engaging students, alumni, staff, and faculty to get more involved
- Entertainment and building spirit at campus and community events
- Personification of your college’s brand
- Marketing and PR opportunities
- Potential revenue generation by offering mascot appearances for private events and offering mascot branded merchandise and apparel for sale
Bringing Your Mascot to Life
Want to start building community around your college or university? Here are some things to consider while putting together your very own mascot.
- Get the students involved. Have them vote on a design or host a submission contest to start building community around your mascot even before he can give high-fives.
- Be sure of your needs before you have the costume designed. A two-person mascot, for example, won’t easily be able to run or jump.
- Consider your school’s or town’s history. Was your area known for gold mining? A prospector character might be a good fit for you.
- Avoid any characterizations that can be considered offensive. You want your character to charm and unify, not anger and polarize.
- Make use of school colors. This might seem obvious, but making him/her easily identifiable among students is key.
Using Your Mascot
Your mascot can personify your school without saying a word. Students will rally around him/her and relish photo-ops as a sign of school pride, so appearances at campus sporting and social events are important. Other opportunities to foster community around your mascot include:
- Appearances at municipal events and parades
- Creating social media pages
- A naming contest
- Sponsoring a “mascot night”
- Creating clothing, school supplies, and other gear featuring your mascot’s likeness
Mascots create life long, loyal supporters for your school, a unique and important ROI that can’t quite be replicated by any other branding technique.
Interested in an Olympus mascot for your college or university?
- View our work in our Mascot Galleries
- Review our simple mascot development process, where we take your idea from concept to completion.
- Read about fun mascot projects we’ve produced for college and professional sports teams and brands you love.
Take the next step!
To start bringing your brand to life, fill out the form to the right. One of our Mascot experts will be happy to provide additional information. If you’d like a quote, please include as many details as possible for the most accurate assessment.
Learn more about “Why a Mascot Improves Your College”